Wednesday, January 14, 2009

a vegetastic 2 months...

One day, I randomly decided to be a vegetarian for two months before my trip to india.

I wasn't trying to make a statement against the cruelty to animals like PETA or influenced by the few vegetarians around me. I just wanted to see what it's like being vegetarian for a temporary period of time.
Also, I wondered, can I actually live without eating meat?

The duration of 2 months was quite arbitrary. When I thought of this experiment, visiting India was 2 months away, and there was no way I was going to stay veg in India. The Kaathi Rolls are just too good. Those & the Chicken Momos were to die for.

It was difficult to visit my favorite eating places. Chillis, On-The-Border, Wahoos... I just couldn't find the right veg dish for me. The food was bland at best. But it did turn out to be a good conversation piece... a lot of my colleagues had a look of disbelief whenever I told them that I became a vegetarian. One asked, 'why would you do that to yourself?', another proudly stated 'I am a meatatarian, I have to have meat with every meal.'

I did end up finding a great vegan place close to my work. One very cool thing was that they tried to make a few of their dishes 'look/taste like meat', with the chewiness, and the texture, etc. Great food, will visit again.

It was definitely a vegetastic experience, and I am thinking of doing it again, someday...

No comments: